In Year Five the children will continue to express their understanding of music and performing by:
- Playing and performing in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency and expression – This will be developed through singing and playing scales, performing a percussion piece in a group and singing in unison and three-part harmony. The children will perform a song with a complex structure and will sing with attention to accuracy in rhythm, pitch and dynamics. They will control short, loud sounds on a variety of instruments.
- Improvising and composing music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music - pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations – This will be developed through creating musical effects using contrasting pitch and creating and performing music for a movie. The children will invent and improvise rhythms and will evaluate and refine their compositions.
- Listening with attention to detail and recalling sounds with increasing aural memory -The children will compare and contrast two pieces of 19th Century music. They will identify changes in tempo in pieces of music and will demonstrate the effect of music in movies. They will rehearse, improvise and analyse performances using musical vocabulary.
- Using and understanding staff and other musical notations – The children will read a melody and a bassline on staff notation. They will develop a structure for a vocal piece and create graphic scores. They will learn to use cue scores.
- Appreciating and understanding a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians - This will be developed through listening to jazz music and a 19th Century tone poem. The children will sing and play an American spiritual and will learn about techniques used in movie soundtracks.
- Developing an understanding of the history of music – The children will learn about modern classical and 19th Century impressionist music. They will learn about the music of a Baroque opera and will learn a song from English 20th