PE – Underwood West Academy
Our intention and expectation is that personal fitness is an important, enjoyable and daily part of every child’s education at Underwood West Academy. This should include standing and moving about during lessons when children would otherwise be sitting. Every child should have the opportunity to attend after-school sports clubs and be signposted to local organisations.
School offers a rich and varied approach in the teaching and learning of the curriculum for PE. High quality outcomes are achieved which cover all aspects of the curriculum including gymnastics, games, dance, athletics and fitness. During Key Stage 2 children are taught swimming on-site via the utilisation of an inflatable pool which enables the children to be taught intensively over a six week period with the children receiving a minimum of two lessons per week. Children are encouraged to challenge themselves within a range of sports through watching, listening, experimenting and developing their skills. The balance of co-operative, collaberative and competitive situations aims to cater for the preferences and needs of each child. The units of work taught match the local school sports network calendar promoting Level 2 competition.
Swimming and Water safety
To ensure pupils meet the government standard of being able to swim 25m all Key Stage 2 attend swimming lessons in the summer term.
Pupils are taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations
At Underwood West Academy, we develop the following skills in our athletes:
- Understand the rules of a variety of sports
- Able to effectively referee a competitive game
- Able to participate successfully in individual sports and team sports
- Understand the importance of exercise on physical and mental well-being
- Able to effectively self-analyse a performance
- To show sportsmanship to team members and the opposition
- Show respect to officials, referees and marshals in their capacity
- Inspire a life-long participation in exercise
Each term different sports clubs will be run by members of staff. Information will be sent out via School Spider letting parents know which clubs are on offer.