Attendance is very important here at Underwood West Academy – it is one of our key priorities as we are committed to ensuring that all of our pupils receive a full-time education which maximises opportunities for each pupil to achieve success and to realise their true potential. The school provides a welcoming, caring environment, whereby each member of the school community feels wanted and secure. All school staff work with pupils and their families to ensure each pupil attends school regularly and punctually.
The school has an effective system of incentives and rewards that acknowledges the efforts of pupils to improve their attendance and timekeeping and will challenge the behaviour of those pupils and parents who give low priority to attendance and punctuality.
All children have the right to an education.
Good attendance is important because pupils:
- get on better with learning and other pupils;
- cope better with school routines, work and friendships;
- find learning easier because they do not miss out - research shows a direct link between high attendance and doing well at school;
- are more successful moving between primary school, secondary school, higher education and employment or training;
- are known to be safe and well by us.
We encourage and expect 100% attendance for all pupils.
Punctuality and the school day:
The school day starts promptly at 8.45 a.m. Registers and doors close at 9.00 a.m. Arrival at school between 9:00 and 9:15 will be recorded as a late mark and arrival after 9:15, without prior approval or extenuating circumstances, will be recorded as an unauthorised absence.
Pupils arriving at school after 9:00 a.m. must enter through the main gates and report to the school office to be signed in by an adult. Registers are also taken when the children return to classes after lunch at 1:00. The register closes at 1:15. Arrival between 1:00 and 1;15 will be recorded as late mark and arrival after 1:15 will be recorded as an unauthorised absence. Unexplained absences will be investigated by the Attendance Team.
The school day ends at 3:15 for all children. Parents must sign their children out at the school office if collecting before 3:15.
All children attend school for 32.5 hours per week.
If your child cannot come to school, you must:
- Phone the school ASAP, to let us know that your child will be off – call 01270 260580.
- If your child has an appointment and will be off for part of the day, you must show us the letter or appointment card or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not contact school on the first day of absence we will try to contact you.
By law, all children of a compulsory school age (5-16) must receive a full-time education. Once you child is registered at school, you are legally responsible for ensuring that your child attends school. If you fail to do so, you risk being issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice or being prosecuted.
What is expected of the Parents?
- To keep requests for your child to be absent to a minimum - and contact the school on the first day your child is away from school
- To arrange dental and doctor’s appointments out of school hours or during the holiday whenever possible, otherwise offer a reason, or medical proof, for any period of absence
- To ensure that your child arrives at school on time, between 8:45 and 9:00, a reason should be offered for any lateness
- To work closely with the school’s Attendance Team to resolve any problems that may impede your child’s attendance – we are here to help and to support.
- To take family holidays during school holiday periods and be aware that requests for holidays during term time will be refused except in special/exceptional circumstances.
- To be aware of curriculum requirements and be especially vigilant with regards to attendance during important academic times such as SATS
- To support your child and recognise their successes and achievements
School’s Attendance Team is: Jane Bateman and Jo Gill. For further information, please read school’s attendance policy which is below.
If you would like to discuss your child’s attendance or punctuality please contact school on 01270 260580.
What is expected of the pupils?
- To get ready for school on time
- To arrive at school on time
- To come to school everyday
- To encourage and tell friends to come to school
- To encourage friendships and a sense of belonging
- To always try their best
For more information, please read school’s child attendance policy, below.